Sunday, January 8, 2012

A few thoughts on this Sunday evening

This week has been a very frustrating week. Everyone in our house has been sick. Henry started off with a cold around New Years which evolved into a gross cough and runny nose. He was pretty miserable all week. Which means we've been pretty miserable trying to deal with a screaming, crying, unhappy little guy. David's been sick with a head cold since Monday and has gotten progressively worse. 

It all escalated on Thursday when Henry woke up from his nap screaming and pulling on his ear. Within 45 minutes we were at the doctor's office. It wasn't until just before the doctor came into the room that the ibuprofen kicked in and he stopped screaming/crying. Poor guy. And yup, ear infection. He was also wheezing a lot (probably going to have asthma like daddy). So they had him do a nebulizer treatment. I don't know what it is about loud noises, but Henry does NOT like them. And the nebulizer is loud. And to put a funny looking mask over his nose and mouth just put him over the top and he was screaming again. They sent us home with an antibiotic and a nebulizer that looks like a fire truck (makes it fun, right?). We're supposed to be doing treatments every 4 hours. Yeah right. We've done a few a day with the help of TV and chocolate.

Henry is almost back to his old crazy self. At least he's sleeping at night. Oh, did I forget to mention that he woke up yesterday morning at 3 am? Yup he was up for the day. Yesterday was a bit of a haze. Luckily, after he and I took long naps (and Dave did dishes!!), we all went to the park. Friday and Saturday were gorgeous days with temps in the mid to high 60s. It was glorious.




There was a guy at the park showing off his parrot. Henry didn't want anything to do with it.


This week, for the first time in my life, I followed a meal plan for dinners. It was amazing. I spent way less on groceries and I actually made dinner every night. Knowing what I was going to make and having everything on hand made it so easy. This is kind of one of my new years resolution: to manage the home better. I'm still working on a regular cleaning schedule.

I feel very grown up because I actually made (and ate) brussels sprouts tonight.
Tonight, Henry helped me make bread. It was so fun. He was very excited to do it and loved eating the dough. Friday night he also helped me make cookies, which was an equally enjoyable activity...for both of us.

 Here he is cleaning dishes for me. He got soaking wet. So Dave put him in some of his clothes. Henry thought it was so funny. 


Lately I think I've been a little to up tight with Henry. His behavior is changing so much that it's throwing me for a loop and I need to adjust. I miss my little well behaved boy. But he's growing up and figuring out he has a voice. Which is great. This frustrating week has helped me to realize that I need to relax a bit, forget about myself for a bit, and have fun. Making cookies and bread together, building train tracks, racing cars. Those are fun things we can do together.

3 comments:

L.R.L said...

I've started planning weekly meals. It IS amazing. We'll have to share recipes. I have a few good ones that I think you'll like.

p.s. Simon woke up at 3 last night too...what's up with that!?

Patrice said...

I think you're doing a GREAT job, Julia!! Lots of learning, and living to tell about it!

Mandy said...

Ear infections are the worst! Poor guy.

Also, I feel like Brussels sprouts are such a grown-up food. I just started cooking and eating them, too. Go us!!!