Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Unexpected

I've debated whether to blog about this or not. But after bouncing the idea off of my sounding board (Jen) I've decided it's better to talk about it than not.

I had a miscarriage. Did you know that 10-25% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage? The doc told us that and I was a bit surprised. I've probably heard the statistic before. Of course it didn't mean anything to me until I was part of that statistic.

After having Henry I just assumed I was a baby making machine, so when I miscarried I was disappointed, sad, surprised, and funky. Like in a funk kind of funky. It only lasted a few days. I needed those two days to mourn I think. I didn't expect having to mourn the loss of this pregnancy, especially when I was only 5 weeks along (we had only known about it for a week) AND when the pregnancy was a bit unexpected as well. I even felt a bit of guilt about feeling glad that I could have my body back and take a bit more time to get back in shape before baby #2. Yup lots of emotions.

I married a prince. Dave took over for a few days. Dishes, playing with Henry, etc. He's a gem. And we've had a few things to take our minds off of it: watching the Jimmer, browsing for a new-to-us car on KSL, a sick kid, then sick parents, searching for rental homes in Charlotte, starting to coordinate a move, and all the other stuff that needs to get done around here.

Just like having cancer, I'm glad I've gone through this so that I can relate to and possible help the numerous others who have gone through the same.

I know there will be other babies. Right now I'm happy with my crazy Henry boy and his handsome daddy.

7 comments:

Cindi O said...

I'm deeply sorry for your loss, Julia. Definitely take the time you need to mourn. And I really look forward to getting to know you better when you guys move out here - so you'd better be looking for rentals in Fort Mill, SC :-) xx

Carly said...

Jules I am so sorry to hear about this. We need to get together soon- before you go!

Angela said...

I've learned a loss is a loss, no matter when it happens. I'm also very sorry for your loss; I like your perspective on developing empathy. Many people choose the bitter path; you seem to have chosen the better path. We still need to hook up with you three before you leave, but our chances are lessening. =)

Sara said...

Love you guys!

Mandy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! Thank you for sharing your experience. You are an example of strength to me. Love you!

John said...

Julia,
I can't believe it's taken me thIs long to find your blog! I love it!

And, I am so so sorry. Having been through miscarriage myself, I can say that no matter how high the percentage of people who have them, it is still really hard. I was surprised at how physically and emotionally hard it was. If there's anything I can do for you, don't hesitate to ask.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I don't know who John is, but that last comment was from me!

Mary