Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sewing Adventures

I inherited Grandma Davis's old sewing machine. And it still works great. So far I've made burp cloths, a baby blanket, & a skirt (still in the works). My next few projects are a baby dress & apron. I'm learning quite a few things, but there's so much more!! I'll update the blog with other projects. If you want to know the "patterns" I use, leave a comment.
I made Carly a blanket and a few burp cloths for her shower. I got the flannel on the scraps table at Hancock Fabrics. So it was cheap!
I liked this fabric because of the froggies. And they match the green fabric on the back!


I sewed the blanket around the edges inside out and then turned it right side out and sewed around the edges.
Does anyone have any quick/easy sewing projects you'd like to share?

7 comments:

Margaret Proffitt said...

That is so cute. Are you sure all this baby sewing is just for "Carly"?!? I've heard that nursing covers (or hooter-hiders) are easy to make. I have a friend who is always making them. I'll ask her about it.

Levi and Suzi said...

Hi Julia! Your blanket is adorable! I usually do a whole "set" for gifts for baby showers. It includes a nursing cover (VERY easy), two burp cloths, a changing pad, a wipes/diaper holder, and a simple bag. They are all easy and straight lines and can be really inexpensive to make. Let me know if you want to know how to do them. :) Happy sewing!

Mama Sue said...

I live this close to someone so crafty and I haven't taken any lessons yet. What am I thinking? Could we plan a girls sewing day and have you show me all of your skills?!?

Angela said...

I made a really easy pioneer bonnet and apron for my girls. I was surprised how easy they both were. Also, I made nightgowns out of that same animal fabric. Claire's was purple and Sydney's was pink. I really like the stitching you did around the edge.

Rebekah said...

So cute, Julesie! You are so talented and crafty--I love it! My mom gave me a sewing machine for my birthday and (I'm embarassed to admit) it's still in the box at this point. But I'm hoping to bust it open soon and figure out how to use it. Any project suggestions for someone who epitomizes the term "beginner"? Rachel goes through bibs like crazy, so that would be nice to be able to make. Thanks!

Erin said...

I'm learning to knit from a woman at work who takes very good care of me and decided I worked too hard and invited me to her knitting group-very exclusive, invitation only! They meet at lunch once a week...very therapeutic and I can't wait until she teaches me to make little beanies!

critts said...

That's so cute! I love the fabric and I've never thought to use that stitch when sewing the inside edge but I really like it - it makes it all the cuter.