In the Democratic Republic of Congo there is an uranium mine called Shinkolobwe. The uranium ore is some of the richest in the world, 80% pure, far exceeding most of the mines in the world. The mine was used in WWII by Allied Forces to build the atomic bombs used to help end the war.
Previous to the discovery of the practical uses of uranium, such as atomic bombs, the mine in the state of Katanga in southern Congo was used by the indigenous Luba people, also for destructive purposes. The warriors would coat their skin with the dust from the mine and attack their enemies at night. The glowing warriors had pretty good success...in the short term. A few months later they died from radiation poisoning.
Well I'm not a Luba warrior and as far as I know the closest uranium mine is a few hours away but even when your wife already has a face mask on she gets pretty scared when she is unexpectantly attacked by a white ghost warrior.
By the way, the Shinkolobwe mining rights are currently up for sale...if you're in the market for some good face paint.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
2 Nephi 30:6 (pre-1981 edition)
Posted by David Henry at 8:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Ha Ha Dave I've always loved your ramblings! So entertaining. You guys look like you're having so much fun!
Dave, only you. Seriously.
Thank you for the post Dave. I must say that I can't seem to find my pre 1981 edition of the BOM. So I have to ask about the reference.
Hey, I like that blanket = )
where are pictures of jones? - we need more jones. Jones! Jones! Jones! and Jones...
Jones?
Post a Comment