Thursday, April 3, 2008

quick, healthy, and yummy

Quick, Healthy, and Yummy (not to mention cheap) don't often go together. I'm in search of dinner ideas that incorporate all three. We don't have all day or even the afternoon to slave away in the kitchen and make spectacular meals. Most of the meals I cook turn out horrid. Luckily, I have a husband who's content eating just about anything (as long as it isn't pre-packaged/prefab food with tons of preservatives, a.k.a. partially hydrogenated oils).

Any suggestions!?!?

4 comments:

Margaret Proffitt said...

I just made this tonight- I call it my oven omelette. Its super healthy but still really yummy. You need egg whites, some veggies, and some cheese to top it off. Cook some spinach on the stove (just until wilted). Then cook some frozen hash browns also on the stove (these ones had bell peppers and onions with them). Mix all that with a small carton of egg whites, pepper and salt and put it all in a smallish casserole dish. Top with some reduced fat cheese (I like swiss) and bake for approx. 40 minutes or until a little brown on top. Its so yummy and the only "bad" thing is the cheese.
Another one I like to make is Turkey Sloppy Joes. You need about 1 lb of lean ground turkey, one onion chopped, one red bell pepper, and one green/yellow/orange one also chopped, and lastly a small bottle of BBQ sauce. Fry up the onion, add the turkey until brown and then add the peppers and BBQ sauce and simmer for 10 minutes or so. Throw it on a hamburger bun and there you go.
These may not be the cheapest recipes, but they're not too expensive. Plus, they're super yummy and so healthy!

The Brandleys said...

Ha ha I remember when dave would come to our apartment and eat our leftovers that had been in the fridge for who knows how long!! I'm sure your cooking can't be as bad as those mystery meals he used to get at our place!!
Anyway I'm a huge fan of just grilling chicken and adding some fresh veggies to the side. I know boring but for some reason it tastes so good. If you want some really good recipes that are guaranteed healthy check out the body for life cook book! It's awesome.

Caleb and Marci said...

Try this...
http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/Recipes/RecipeDetail?pf=true&recipe_id=68986
One of my new fall back recipes.
Also, (our favorite) put in the crockpot on low all day a stick of butter, a pack of italian dressing mix and a can of cream of chicken and some chicken, (depending on how many people you are cooking for). Let it cook all day, and shred it, then add a pack of cream cheese and let it cook another 30 minutes or so. Then put on rice... seriously the best thing ever. You can also put it in a tortilla or whatever you want... not the most healthy with all the butter, but really really good.
Best of luck... I have heard a rumor that Dave can cook a pretty decent meal as well (though maybe I was just starving at the time), put him to work. :-)

Angela said...

Dave will eat just about anything. Eli's the same way. Does he still have the chime o matic? Eli's mom still can't believe Eli gave it away. =) I don't have much advice on cooking. It was one thing that I did not look forward to when we got married. I still kind of dread dinner time; I can feed myself okay, but finding creative things to feed my family is another thing. One thing I like to do is buy the big bag of spinach from Costco and make a big salad. Spinach is very good for you, and you can add things to it to make it more filling if you so desire. I like to put ham or hard boiled eggs on it. My girls eat it really well, and Eli also enjoys it, so we have salad quite a bit.