Over the summer I discovered this awesome blog. Ana is amazing. She and her husband actually built their house with their own two hands. Isn't that crazy awesome? I looked through her plans and thought, "Hey I could do this." Plus, we have the tools, but they just sit in the garage because Dave's too busy being responsible. I couldn't wait to get home from our adventures in MN and get to work. I decided that I would build these night stands.
I used this trusty machine for most of my cutting. It's a table saw. For smaller cuts I used a miter saw. That's right. I used saws and I even know their names. And I have to add that David did not touch one tool. He offered plenty of advice and showed me how to use the tools, but these babies were all hand-built by moi.
The most time consuming part of the project was making all the cuts. I decided not to go out and buy a bunch of wood, because that would cost $. So I used some poplar boards we already had. They were a funny width (9.75 in), so I had be a little creative. Each board was also a different thickness because we had used some of the boards to try out our handy plainer we got last year. And a few of the boards were bowed a bit.

These are the assembled legs for one of the stands. They came together pretty well.
This is where I had to get creative. I had to piece together boards of varying widths and thicknesses to get the size I needed for my shelves. I plained each of the pieces down to the same thickness, glued them together, sanded the whole surface down, and reinforced them with a long strip of wood on the back.
Here's the drawer from the top. The drawers were tricky. I made my first one, made some mistakes, and then made the next one much better.
Here they are almost completed.
Aren't they pretty?
Here I am priming. I decided to do a greyish blue color. I'm still not sure what to call it. I found it in the oops pile at Home Depot. $5 for a whole can!! There's plenty left over to paint a matching headboard.
You can tell I used the bowed boards for my tops. I think it adds character.
I found these cool handles at a place called ReStore. I got 6 antique-looking drawer pulls for $3. They have flowers on them. I distressed some of the edges with a sander before I put on the top coat.
I tipped these babies upside down on the cardboard I had under them while I was painting so I could paint the underside. Some of the white primer got on the tops. I think it looks cool. Don't you? I might even try to duplicate this mistake because I think it looks so cool.
There you go. And I love love love them. They aren't perfect and have tons of character. I was so happy this morning when I realized I have an actual night stand next to my bed. I feel so grown up. Imagine how I will feel with a headboard?!
Once we move after school (to heavens knows where!) my plan is to build a headboard to match. I can't right now because it wouldn't fit up our stairs. My next project will be a toy chest for Henry's growing collection of toys. I also want to make a bed skirt for our bed. My sewing machine is in need of some love.


8 comments:
WOW!!! I am SO impressed! I want to make some of the stuff on her site but am scared to start. Good job- they look great!
Nice work Julia! Those look great, must be really satisfying to have them in your room to see everyday. Impressive.
Holy crap girl! I can't believe you made those. Sooo impressive! I'm surprised that you not only have all the tools but that you know how to use them. You need to teach me! I've been wanted to make a simple book shelf forever!
I love that blog! I have been drooling over so many of those plans, but alas I don't have the tools or a garage. I'm saving for those. Your night stands are amazing! I'm so impressed and can't wait to see the headboard. I secretly am wishing your next move will be to Charlotte. :) We need to chat again
Go Julia! Truly impressed. By the way are you guys back around now? I'm guessing yes. We should get together sometime...
That really is incredible. It must be so satisfying to create something!
so cute julia! i am way impressed!! also, the pics above of henry are adorable!!
Wow, I can see that you have got talent. I am truly impressed with your gumption. (sp?) Tell David he's a lucky man.
Post a Comment